In the beginning of the pandemic, Governor DeWine issued a statewide moratorium on utility shutoffs. Then, he quietly allowed it to expire in May. Let's make sure he has to face the people his decisions are impacting by writing letters and using our social media. Tell Gov. DeWine we want #NoShutoffs until the pandemic is over.
Here are the top 3 actions you can take this week:
Stop Utility Shutoffs: Write letters or post to social media! CUFA is asking Gov. DeWine to end utility shut-offs during the COVID pandemic. Have your kids write a brief letter, draw a picture, or use your social media to push DeWine to end shutoffs now.
- This Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 12-1:30PM, Affordable Housing Advocates hosts the State of Affordable Housing. This is a virtual event, and you can find out more on Facebook here.
- Check out this virtual event! The Color of Law: Government Policy and Racial Segregation scheduled for Tuesday, December 1, 2020 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm. AIA Cincinnati’s Urban Design Committee and ULI Cincinnati’s Real Estate Accelerator Lab will host celebrated author Richard Rothstein in a virtual discussion of his book The Color of Law. Rothstein’s work explores the government policies that encouraged residential segregation in American cities and their continued impact on our urban communities. Find out more and register here.
- Stop Utility Shutoffs: Write letters or post to social media! CUFA is asking Gov. DeWine to end utility shut-offs during the COVID pandemic. Have your kids write a brief letter, draw a picture, or use your social media to push DeWine to end shutoffs now.
What's Happening This Week
Take action to end utility shutoffs during the pandemic!
We know Governor DeWine cares about his own grandchildren, so we are asking kids from all over Cincinnati to write a brief letter or social media post to him telling him why he needs to help people keep their water, gas, electricity and internet on. We will put these letters in a short video for social media and deliver them Gov. DeWine sometime in December. It’s the holidays, so let’s send our holiday wish list!
- Dear Gov. DeWine, All I want for the holidays is heat in my house. Jonah, Cincinnati, age 6
- Dear Gov. DeWine, please help my mom pay our electric bill so we can have a Merry Christmas. MyKaliah, Cincinnati, age 13
- Dear Gov. DeWine, I cannot go to remote school without electricity and internet, and we can’t afford it. Darius, Cincinnati, age 11
Draw pictures or decorate your letter to make it personal. Submit your kids' letters and pictures here.
Sample social media posts (post with a picture!)
- All we want for our holidays is to have heat and and electricity, @GovMikeDeWine #NoShutoffs @cufacincy
- I wish my parents could fill my wish list, but mom lost her job and we might not be able to pay utilities through the holidays. Thanks, @GovMikeDeWine #NoShutoffs @cufacincy
- Christmas would be better this year if my parents didn't have to worry about our electric bill. Don’t shut off our utilities @GovMikeDeWine #NoShutoffs @cufacincy
If you are using your own social media, quote your kids or use your own words. Gov. DeWine needs to understand what we are all going through, and why it’s so important that he protect Ohioans from utility shutoffs. Make sure to use Gov. DeWine's handle: @GovMikeDeWine (for Facebook & Twitter) and tag CUFA @cufacincy so we can share your post!
The Musketeer Association, a CUFA partner organization, is hosting HEALING AND RAISING TOGETHER GATHERING this Saturday, Nov. 28 from 4-5PM.
Topics will cover: different spiritual healing technics, bonding methods needed especially in these difficult times, and finding the different “Community Resources” available in your area. Click here at the time of the event to join this virtual meeting.
Other Important Information
CUFA Victory! Water Bill Forgiveness Program now accepting applications!
The City of Cincinnati has a new program to forgive water and storm water bills for low-income residents experiencing COVID-related hardships. Find out more about the program and apply here.
Get Your CUFA Yard Sign Today
We know that "Together, We Will Make a Difference." Let your neighbors know that you support CUFA. Call us at 853-3947 to get your yard sign today!
What happens now that the election is over?
Here's what the CUFA postcards look like! Let us know if you want some to send to friends and family here.
Tell Our Senators to Pass a COVID Relief Bill Now
Join Peoples Action and other grassroots organizations across the country to tell the Senate that our priority is getting relief to the most vulnerable members of our community during the pandemic. Click here to take action.
The National THRIVE Agenda
We must build a new economy to address the inequality and racism the COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare. On September 10, People's Action and several allied groups released a national agenda with eight key pillars:
- Creating millions of good, safe jobs with access to unions.
- Building the power of workers to fight inequality.
- Investing in Black, Brown, and Indigenous communities.
- Strengthening and healing the nation-to-nation relationship with sovereign Native Nations.
- Combating environmental injustice and ensuring healthy lives for all.
- Averting climate and environmental catastrophe.
- Ensuring fairness for workers and communities affected by economic transitions.
- Reinvesting in public institutions that enable workers and communities to thrive.
Join CUFA on social media:
Be sure to join our Facebook group.