Our sewer bill money is going down the toilet and we're drowning in stormwater.
The Metropolitan Sewer District is undertaking an estimated $4 Billion project to fix our sewers, but the bulk of the cost is being put on residential and small commercial ratepayers, while big users enjoy big automatic discounts. Stormwater is what overwhelms our sewer system and costs the most, but our rates are based on water usage. Some places that contribute stormwater runoff into the sewers don't even pay a sewer bill! CUFA and our allies are launching a Fair Sewer Rates Coalition to change that.
Join us as we rally in front of the Hamilton County Commissioners building before their June 17 meeting. RSVP below to let us know you are coming.
We need you to participate in our props and visuals! Here's what you need to know:
- Bring an umbrella - even if it's not raining. We want to demonstrate we're drowning in stormwater and it's only going to get worse with climate change.
- We'll bring toilets - you bring fake money if you have it. We want to demonstrate our money is getting flushed down the toilet.
- If you are a member of CUFA or another Coalition organization - represent! Bring your banners; wear your t-shirts!
The Fair Sewer Rates Coalition is recommending the Hamilton County Commissioners, as the rate-setting authority for the MSD, make the following changes to our sewer rate structure:
- Reduce base rate charges immediately;
- Eliminate the bulk rate discounts for large users that creates a disincentive to water conservation;
- Fund the Consent Decree with impervious surface charges and other stormwater-related fees;
- Implement financial incentives for stormwater abatement for all property owners; and
- Work to expand Customer Assistance programs for those in need.
Communities United For Action
Carthage Civic League
Edwood East Community Association
Mount Auburn Presbyterian Church
Christ Temple Full Gospel Baptist Church
Churches Active In Northside (CAIN)
Board of Directors, Community Shares of Greater Cincinnati
Woman's City Club
Citizens for Rights of the Ohio River Watershed (CROW)
Ohio River Guardians
Metro Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky Democratic Socialists of America
Cincinnati Indivisible Rapid Response Team
League of Women Voters of the Cincinnati Area
Working In Neighborhoods
Sierra Club, Miami Group
Ohio Citizen Action Education Fund
Ohio Citizen Action
Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME)
Resources for sharing the event:
138 E Court St
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Google map and directions